Rjukan Ice Climbing
Rjukan is quite simply an ice climbers paradise. There's a wide range of ice falls, with short walk ins, and a stable climate guaranteeing cold weather and reliable conditions. There are over 150 different ice falls from single pitch test pieces to 400m long multi pitch classics. If that's not enough then if you need a rest day there's even a great local ski area or if you'd prefer something more restful then you can spend the day learning about the areas fascinating World War 2 history- involving the The Heroes of the Telemark and the destruction of the Heavy Water Plant.
Who's it for?
This course is designed for those wanting to learn to ice climb. It is ideally suited to an individual or a climbing pair that have similar aspirations and abilities. Previous summer climbing experience is essential, and previous winter climbing experience is advantageous, but not essential.
This course is very flexible therefore allowing us to head out each day and climb wherever the conditions are best. The majority of climbing will be in the WI grade 2 to 4 range (Scottish Grade III to V). As this is a private course it allows us to be flexible with the course aim so that we can tailor it to your individual aims and aspirations. Often however we do find most clients are keen to either:
- Learn to Ice Climb
- Be Guided up Classic Ice Climbs
- Learn to Lead Ice Climbs
- 5 days of Ice Climbing Guiding or Instruction
- Airport Transfers - Oslo to Rjukan, return (240km each way)
- Transport - to and from each days climbing location
- Accommodation- shared rooms in a self catered apartment in Rjukan- Villa Gryta
- All Safety Equipment- including ice axes, crampons, harnesses and helmets
Whats's not Included?
- Flights (UK to Oslo) - £150 return from London, Manchester or Edinbrugh (price correct as of the 1st March 2017)
- Personal Travel Insurance - £50 with BMC Insurance (price correct as of the 1st March 2017)
- Food- you can choose to self cater at our accommodation, individually or as a group, or you can eat out.
- Boot Hire- unfortunately we can't provide B3 boots, however if you require them then we can recommend some companies that offer a hire service. Alternatively if your looking to buy a pair then it may be worth checking out our 10 Top Tips For Buying Winter Boots Article
For this course we offer a low 1:1 or a 1:2 (instructor to client) ratio so that you can get the most from your trip.
1:1 Guiding- £1650 1:2 Guiding- £950 per person - this course is now full
Please note- for our 1:2 ratio course we require a £300 deposit per person and for our 1:1 ratio course we require a £500 deposit to secure your course. The remainder of the course fee can be paid in one go, or installments, but is due no later than 12 weeks prior to the course start date.
7 Day Trip, with 5 Climbing Days
Winter 2019 dates coming soon.
We will be flying out on the Monday and returning the following Sunday as this will allow you to choose direct flights from the widest range of possible airports in the UK.
To make a booking please contact us and we'll get back to you as soon as possible.
If you would like some more information about this course, or if you have any questions regarding it then please feel free to contact us by clicking here.