Intro to Lead Climbing (2 Day)
Who's it for?
It is designed for those wanting to become independent and competent 'lead' climbers of traditional rock climbs. It is ideal for those who have done our Intermediate Climbing Course or those who have some experience of seconding rock climbs and who can confidently belay.
The main focus of the two days is to provide you with an introduction to the core skills needed to lead rock climbs. Over the 2 days we'll aim to give you an insight into the skills required to lead climb along with providing you with the opportunity to lead several rock climbs whilst under the watchful eye of one of our instructors. During your course we'll aim to cover the following techniques:
- Re-cap on core rock climbing skills such as movement on rock and belaying both leader and second (including holding falls and lowering).
- Tying into multi – point anchors both in reach and out of reach using the rope alone, as well as slings.
- Using rock climbing protection equipment such as nuts, hexes and camming devices and assessing the quality of the placements.
- Developing lead climbing skills, including psychological coping strategies for managing lead climbing stresses, on a variety of climbs in a progressive and structured manner.
- Develop an understanding of traditional climbing grades and guidebook interpretation.
For those wanting to develop an in depth understanding of these techniques, and to have the opportunity to consolidate their learning further, then we would recommend our 5 Day Learn to Lead Climb Course.
All safety equipment, including rock shoes, are provided free of charge.
Peak District National Park
This course is run at a maximum ratio of 1:2 (one instructor to 2 clients) so that learning can be tailored and optimized to each individual.
£175 per person
If you'd prefer a private course then our private guiding option could be right for you.
This course is delivered on an on demand basis, as such please let us know which dates you would like to attend on and we'll get back to you as soon as possible.
To make a booking please contact us with your preferred course dates and we'll then get back to you as soon as possible.
If you would like some more information about this course, or if you have any questions regarding it, then please feel free to contact us by clicking here.