Learn to Lead Climb (5 Day)
Who's it for?
Our 5 day Learn to Lead course is designed for those wanting to become independent and competent 'lead' climbers of traditional rock climbs. Previous climbing experience is required, and the ability to belay is essential.
This Course will give you all of the skills necessary to go climbing on single pitch crags. Throughout the week you'll receive personalised coaching and instruction enabling you to tackle the climbs you've always wanted to be able to do by yourself. During the course we'll cover the following skills:
- Re-cap on core rock climbing skills such as movement on rock and belaying both leader and second (including holding falls and lowering).
- Tying into multi – point anchors both in reach and out of reach using the rope alone, as well as slings.
- Using rock climbing protection equipment such as nuts, hexes and camming devices and assessing the quality of the placements.
- Developing lead climbing skills, including psychological coping strategies for managing lead climbing stresses, on a variety of climbs in a progressive and structured manner.
- Develop an understanding of traditional climbing grades and guidebook interpretation.
- How to set up, and use, a self protected Abseil.
Below is a sample course itinerary:
Day 1- Re cap of core climbing skills such as belaying and movement on rock, whilst enjoying climbing a wide range, and style, of routes.
Day 2- Introduction to the core lead climbing skills- gear placement, belay construction, and guidebook interpretation.
Day 3- Development and consolidation of core lead climbing skills on a range of different routes.
Day 4- How to set up and use a self protected abseil, and further development and consolidation of core lead climbing skills.
Day 5- Performance coaching, including psychological strategies to enhance performance, and refinement of lead climbing skills.
All safety equipment, including rock shoes, are provided free of charge.
Peak District National Park
This course is run at a maximum ratio of 1:2 (one instructor to 2 clients) so that learning can be tailored and optimized to each individual.
£450 per person
If you'd prefer a private course then our private guiding option could be right for you.
This course is delivered on an on demand basis, as such please let us know which dates you would like to attend on and we'll get back to you as soon as possible.
To make a booking please contact us with your preferred course dates and we'll then get back to you as soon as possible.
If you would like some more information about this course, or if you have any questions regarding it, then please feel free to contact us by clicking here.